02 September 2011

Baltimore, MD Meteor 31AUG2011


Baltimore, MD/ North west off 83 pkwy Meteor 11:pm 08/31/11


I was driving from the city in Baltimore, MD. headed North on 83 Jones Falls parkway exiting Northern pkwy when to my left I saw a great big blue ball with orange tips at the end shooting so fast that if I blinked I wouldn’t have saw it! I’ve never seen anything like this ever...

Kimya Atkinson  Thank you Kimya!


Bellefonte, PA  Meteor Sighting ~11:00 pm 31AUG2011
I observed last night (around 11:00pm 8/31/2011) what must have been a meteor streaking across the sky.
I was standing outside the building where I work night shift in Bellefonte PA, facing NE and was looking at the sky because it was a relatively clear night and I knew that this time of year meteor showers are not uncommon.
What I saw passed almost directly overhead and was traveling SE to NW. It resembled a large streaking firework with a multi-colored fireball and long white or silver tail. It was quite spectacular. The duration of what I observed I would estimate at 2 or 3 seconds. I remember thinking that it seemed to last much longer than a so-called "shooting star" and appeared much closer. It passed almost directly overhead. That is about as much information as I can give you. I hope it has been helpful. -Edward Casher  Thank you Edward!


Berkeley Springs, WV
I am not a science buff and have seen my share of shooting stars in my 42 years, but I never saw anything make into our atmosphere. Last night 8/31 and approximately 11:00-11:10 pm over Berkeley Springs WV, Allen district I was right about 39.606085,-78.1703 when I saw a fire ball less then ¼ mile or so in front of me shooting down at about a 45 degree angle. From my view about the size of a volleyball.
For as low as it was I only saw it flash by but I think it hit somewhere in this area 39.62473,-78.171158
I do not know if you guys had any way to check last night and see if this hit your radar or not.I was heading home from a card game. It is pitch black back there and I literally shut off my lights and started looking for fire but there are so many valleys it could have been in one. It rained today so not sure how easy it would be to find at this point.
I was on my way home. -Irv  Thank you Irv!



State College, Pennsylvania
I saw a small ball of fire in the sky on August 31st at 11:03 pm. I have never seen anything like that. I even heard the sound it made when descending. At one point it ignited and slow down as it did. I saw it for about 7 seconds and then trees got on the way of my view and did not see it anymore. This happened in State College Pennsylvania. -Wallington Jimenez-Ortiz  
Thank you Wallington!

We need your sighting reports!  Thank you!
Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos? please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you!
2011 The Year of Meteors!