26 June 2010

Pennsylvania Meteor 24JUN2010 Update



Another fireball caught on York Water Company video camera

York Daily Record
The meteor that flashed across the sky Thursday night was the second one caught by the camera within a year. By Teresa Ann Boeckel A fireball that crossed ...

News 8 Viewers Report Flash Of Light In Sky

WGAL Lancaster
He thinks the light was a fireball, which is a large meteor. A meteor is a piece of rock or grain of sand. If the fireball is big enough, ...


-----------------------------------------
Reader`s comments:

emailed:
Hi , tho I don't have video of the fire ball , I did witness it all the way from Sea Side N.J. Even from here it lit up the night sky casting shadows . I was lucky enough to witness the entire event. My girlfriend and I watched as it appeared to break up, as it headed from east to west. It was the brightest , longest lasting meteor I have ever seen in my life . It really was amazing. I hope this might help you pin down where it may have landed. [address]

Hello. We (Myself, my son and a friend) witnessed this large fireball go over our house in Alexandria Virginia last night around 10 ish. We did not get videos.. at first we thought it was some kind of fire works but it was too big and moved very fast. It seemed to move from east to north west. We checked the local news but no reports. I can't believe more people did not see this.

I saw a meteor come into our atmosphere last night at approximately 10:30pm. I saw which direction it went from my vantage point in Point of Rocks, MD. It was quite large actually and a little scary looking. It was green and then went to orange and red.
Thanks, Lisa

4 comments:

Thomas Sebring Jr said...

I saw this meteor rip through the sky going northwest out of my window...just hours after the extreme severe thunderstorms we had cut the power across the street. It was brilliant greenish white, trailing sparks and pieces of itself. Thought it was a Roman candle at first, but it moved way too fast!

Lee said...

My fiancee and I saw this. We live in Coaldale, PA and it was directly overhead when it 'burst'. We thought it was a firework at first but it lit up the sky way more than what a flare could do. We were in my truck and watched most of it out of the sunroof (glad it was open) and heard some noises. After some 30 years of being an avid amateur astronomer I finally got to see a true fireball.

Anonymous said...

does anybody know where it hit down at? Early analysis, I think that it landed somewhere northwest of Harrisburg. But not any specifics. There is also no word from any of the the professional meteorite hunters out there

Any useful links, or video of the fireball (other than york water)would be greatly appreciated

Anonymous said...

me and my boyfriend were walking home last night in York England, when a huge fireball soared through the night sky at about 10.30. It was very low and you could hear it rip through the air. Frightening but amazing,